The Malaspina Awards are bestowed by the Spanish Embassy in Canberra and the Association of Spanish Researchers in Australia-Pacific (SRAP). They are awarded to one organisation and one individual who have made an important contribution to the advancement of the relationships between the two countries in science, research, culture and/or technology.
This year, the price will be awarded at a special Science Diplomacy event at the Shine Dome of the Australian Academy of Science in Canberra, on Friday, November 17th.
The Malaspina Awards are granted annually. They are bestowed to contributions in science, academia, culture and technology.
This award is named after Alejandro Malaspina who led the Spanish World Scientific Expedition 1789-1794 that carried out studies in natural history, cartography, ethnography, astronomy, hydrography and medicine in Latin America, the Pacific and Australia.
The 6th Malaspina Awards have been sponsored by Navantia Australia. The award’s statuette is designed by the Spanish artist Óscar Martín de Burgos, well known for his sculptures for international awards.
Nominations are open to any Australian or Spanish citizen and organisation registered in any of these two countries. The nomination can take place regardless of the Country of residence.
The Malaspina Award Committee will be comprised of high representatives of the two organising institutions. Every tentative candidate should provide:
- Full contact address, email, and webpage (if available) of the nominee
- A statement letter with reasons for the nomination (see Template)
- Impact of the contribution to the scientific or cultural links between Spain and Australia [300 words]:
- Excellence in your field – Personal, academic and/or cultural achievements [300 words]:
- Future projection and commitment to promote bridges that enhance the scientific or cultural exchange [200 words]
- CV (individuals) or the latest annual report (organisations) and any other relevant document supporting the nomination
Nominations should be forwarded to the Embassy of Spain mailbox from now until 30th July 2023 through the following e-mails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .A confirmation email will be sent to acknowledge the receipt of the application.
All the information about the 6th Malaspina Awards is also available in a PDF file.