Today, 27 November, we had our 2021 AGM (Annual General Meeting), where our member, astrophysicist and science communicator Dr. Ángel López-Sánchez (Senior Lecturer, Australian Astronomical Optics, Macquarie University), was elected as new SRAP President.
Following Ángel’s presentation, his vision for SRAP in 2022 has four pillars:
- Between members, promoting interdisciplinary research
- Between the Academy and industries / businesses
- Between Australian and New Zealand entities and Spanish entities
- Between researchers, educators, artists, diplomats and general public
- and help Spanish researchers to understand the research system in Australia and New Zealand
- SRAP Research Forums: Excellence and recognition
- Malaspina Award
- Early Career Researchers Award
- Grants promoting collaboration between Academy and industries
- Recognition by Australian and New Zealand research institutions (universities, Australia Academy of Science, Science and Technology Australia)
- Regular meetings in pubs
- Online and in-person events,
- New web, including new corporative image
- High quality content in our blog
- Active social media
- Science diplomacy
- Networking events
- Strong presence in RAICEX
- Potentiate academic and industrial relationships between Australia / New Zealand and Europe / Spain (create some funding grants?)
- Participate in “Science meets Parliament” y ”Ciencia en el Parlamento”
During the AGM, Dr. Joaquín Valderrama, SRAP President during the last 2 years, reflected about how SRAP has evolved during this time. SRAP succeeded in the 5 strategic objectives that were identified in 2019:
- Developing intense science communication
- Regeneration of the SRAP Board
- Improving our organic efficiency
- Increasing funding opportunities
- Leading the Spanish Science Diplomacy in Australia-Pacific
Joaquín also awarded certificates to all members of the SRAP Board, as well as announced for the first time the “SRAP Pillar Awards“. The three SRAP members to be awarded with the “SRAP Pillar Award” were Jorge Pinilla-López, Dr Ángel López-Sánchez and Dr. Ana Rubio-Zuazo.
We want to thanks Joaquín for his effort and excellent performance while his SRAP Presidency!
After the AGM, the participants (including new members) who attended in person enjoyed an excellent late lunch in a Greek restaurant.